Friday 9 November 2012

Kas brings his mate Matt for a skills session

















 Kas came to me 18months ago and wanted to attend another session and to share it with his riding buddy Matt. The skills check revealed I needed to work on their looking and body positioning and also I knew I'd work on their mental skills too.
 The first technique we applied the skills to was riding over logs using the skill set and from there we moved onto the drop technique and it was here that I was able to show them why the skills enabled them to begin to style it and move the bike in the air .
 We moved onto the skills trail and began work on linking the 14 sections contained within it together using the identified control areas. Pre jumping, rock gardens, steps, fly out jumps and drops were linked to flat, bermed, off camber and switchback turns. I worked methodically down the trail always adding the previous sections to the newest and soon they were riding the whole trail fast and in control. Any errors were self diagnosed too.
 I knew from our previous session what capacity Kas has for mental learning so I moved them on after a good few runs to the 6ft tabletop and gap jump.

 Both sailed over the jumps and Matt was blown away at how easy it all felt as his youth flooded back with memories of bmx and he styled it over the gap jump!
 From there I wanted to work on their body positioning when riding steeps and we moved into the quarry for that.


I used a high drop off first to work on both braking and body position and then we moved onto a lower near vertical drop off and I demonstrated 2 ways of riding into them and they followed suit.
 I could see they were tiring quickly and mistakes started creeping in so our session ended right there and we celebrated the session over a pint in the local pub.
Awesome riding guys,
High5!

No comments:

Post a Comment