Saturday 22 October 2011

Graham's mtb skills coaching session





Graham has had coaching previously with a couple of different people and his journey to enhance his riding led him to myself.
I immediately ran him through my skills check and found that he needed work on looking and body positioning. I made the necessary bike set up changes and set to work.
We began with applying the new skill set , both mental and physical to the drop technique and the effect was something Graham could feel straight away and i was able to work on moving the bike in the air too so he could begin to style it.
I then moved us onto the skills trail and the 14 sections contained within it. I worked on pumping and speed manuals and how to use the trails energy rather than your own to gain speed.
We linked this with berms, switchbacks, off camber and flat corners, rock gardens, fly out jumps and drops. I worked very hard on his body positioning in corners and gradually it started to become an unconscious action.





We moved onto the 6ft tabletop and gap jump and in no time at all Graham was sailing across them both as his mental skill set was put to good use. After a few runs we moved onto a 9ft gap jump and once again, using his mental skills questions I teach, Graham sailed over the gap 3 times with ease.
Lastly, we worked on the application of the skill set in riding steep wooden berms and he found that far easier than he had thought previously.
Mentally, Graham was drained and called an end to the session and I did a riding demonstration of the skills set in use in my riding on a high fast line at herts.
Great session and a great end to an awesome week.

No comments:

Post a Comment